Vegetable Hyderabadi Biryani……
Food is something that we all live for and when it comes to rice, all we think about is yummy biryani. So today I am going to give you a delicious recipe of ‘Vegetable Hydrabadi Biryani’.
2 cups basmati rice
1 1/2 cup water for soaking the rice
1 1/2 cup medium cauliflower florets
2 chopped medium sized potatoes
1 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped french beans
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 1/2 cup sliced onions
1 tbsp ginger paste
1/2 tbsp garlic paste
6 green cardamoms
4 black cardamoms
2 one inch cinnamon sticks
2 bay leaves
6 cups water for cooking the rice
4 tbsp ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 cup whisked fresh yogurt
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 cup water for pressure cooking vegetables
2 tbsp cashews
1 tbsp raisins
2 tbsp almonds
1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
5 to 6 tbsp milk
1/4th tsp saffron strands
3 tsp rose water
1 green chilli
2 cheese cubes
Salt as per taste
Method for Cooking the Rice
- Rinse basmati rice in running water till all the starch is removed. Soak the rice in 1 1/2 cup water for 20-25 minutes.
- After soaking, drain the rice and keep aside. Prepare all the other ingredients like cutting vegetables and arranging other ingredients till the rice gets soaked.
- Take a deep bottomed pan, add 6 cups of water and heat it on a high flame. When the water becomes hot, add 1 bay leaf, 3 green cardamoms, 2 black cardamoms, 2 cloves and 1 one inch cinnamon stick. Bring the water to boil.
- Add the rice in the boiling water and let the rice cook. The rice should be 75% cooked. Do not cook it completely. Drain the rice and keep aside.
Method for Cooking the Vegetables
- In a pressure cooker, heat 4 tbsp ghee. Add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 3 green cardamoms, 2 black cardamoms, 2 cloves, 1 bay leaf, 1 one inch cinnamon stick. Saute these ingredients till they start crackling.
- Add the onions, stir and saute them till they turn golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sliced green chilli. Saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic paste goes away.
- Add turmeric and red chilli powder. Stir and mix well.
- Add the chopped vegetables and saute for two minutes.
- Add yogurt, and then add 1/2 cup water. Stir well.
- Add salt as per taste and pressure cook the vegetables for 2 whistles on medium flame.
- Warm 5 to 6 tbsp milk in a pan and add 1/4th tsp saffron strands. Stir and keep aside.
- Once the pressure settles down on its own, remove the lid and check the gravy. If the vegetables is not cooked properly and if there is more water in the vegetable gravy then keep the lid open and heat it till some water evaporates.
- Add all the cashews, almonds and raisins in the vegetable gravy and mix well. Soak the nuts in the water before adding them in the gravy and remove the skin of the almonds.
Method for Layering the Rice and Vegetables
- In a thick bottomed pan, layer half of the vegetable gravy first. Then layer half of the rice.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander and chopped mint leaves and saffron milk on the rice layer.
- Layer the remaining vegetable gravy followed by the remaining rice layer.
- Grate some cheese on the top till a layer is formed.
- Now seal the pan with a foil paper.
- Place a tawa on the gas stove and put the pan on top of the tawa and let it cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Unseal the foil paper. Biryani is ready
Serve this delicious ‘Vegetable Hydrabadi Biryani’ with a ‘raita’ of your choice.
Be happy. Eat yummy.